Monday, January 12, 2009

Summary of my traineeship

WARNING: If you haven't followed my story from the start, you won't see the cream of the jest. I advise you to read from the beginning, i.e. the bottom of the page.

My internship report

By Narantsogt Baatarkhuu

I went to Romania in June 9th, 2008 through AIESEC CEE the summer program. The traineeship, being in the educational field, was in “AIESEC Pitesti” student organization and my main responsibility was to contribute to the “AIESEC Summer School” training agenda, and co-train/facilitate the delivery of the training. My traineeship lasted for about two months.

Although I was accepted by the TN to be employed from the 1st June to 15th August, I had a problem (missed the bus to Romania) with arriving on the specified date. The AIESEC PITESTI welcomed me with great enthusiasm and amiability, and I was immensely drawn into an intimate and encouraging atmosphere. My impression about AIESEC Pitesti was that almost everyone speaks English at least above intermediate, and they have been eager to accept a new trainee after two years of absence. I was accommodated in one of the AIESEC members’ apartment for the first two nights, and it shaped my impression about Romanian lifestyle positively.

I was called to, and willingly complied with, the promotion of the upcoming “Summer School” the next day. I was responsible for visiting the high schools in Pitesti city, along with few other AIESEC-ers, and touting “Summer School” training modules to high school students. The students had a great reaction overall, although my nervousness hindered the first few visits. The promotion continued for five days during which I have also been guided around the city and/or brought to watch a football match in a pub.

The Summer School had five training modules: Personal Development, Public Speaking, Project Management and Living Diversity with 77, 111 and 85 students respectively. The fifth module, Sustainable Development was added in each module as a bonus. Project Management and Sustainable development were agreed to be taught by Romanian trainers, due to its complexity.

Personal Development module was taught from 16th to 22nd of June. Excluding the Sustainable Development class, it had 4 parts, Personal Branding and Career Planning, of which I was in charge; Self Awareness and Career Planning which was taught by my fellow intern from USA.

Public Speaking module was taught from 23rd June to 1st July. It had 4 parts as well, Introduction, Design and Delivery of Speech, and Simulation. This time the trainings were held simultaneously in two classrooms.

Living Diversity module was taught from 7th to 11th of July. Unlike the previous trainings where me and my fellow trainer had Romanian co-trainers, we held the training together. It had 3 parts, Introduction, Cultural Difference and Cultural tolerance, and the participants participated in “Global Village” open door day at the end of the module.

On average, I had 3 classes a day (morning, afternoon and evening) with 13-17 students at a time. The modules were held in classrooms in University of Pitesti building, “Corpus D”, and the AIESEC Pitesti office was nearby. I was provided with a PC (desktop or laptop), projector, flipcharts and markers etc. My typical cycle of making training was:

· To do a research on the Internet about a certain topic, possible method to teach it, and suitable jokes

· To plan the session outline with the co-trainer and to compromise on the final draft

· To find the needed items for logistics (flipcharts, printed materials) and props for games (candies, playing cards )

· To submit the outline to the Local Committee

· To carry out a mini-simulation of the training in front of the Local Committee Members and receive feedback

· To hold the actual training

· To receive written feedback from the students

So far, I have found the feedback from my students to be the most encouraging part of the whole traineeship. Also, because mostly my co-trainers would ask me to deliver the training the way I want, I used to play big role in making session outlines. In order to make the training interesting, we combined different methods, e.g. showing movies made by ourselves, having a role play, putting icebreakers and including current pop culture examples in our trainings.

To conclude, I had planned to learn 3 main things before coming to Pitesti city. They were charisma, expert knowledge in my major and personal management. I am not sure if my experiences developed all of them. However, I learned several things unexpectedly. They are too trivial to be mentioned by simple words, so I am using table.

Experience/Knowledge/Lesson I gained

Place where I gained

Corporate Social Responsibility

AIESEC Pitesti training

Audience management

Training modules

“Selling myself” a.k.a Convincing people

Promotion; Info meeting

Brainstorming

Session outline

Urban planning

General traineeship; trip around the city

Making better presentation

Training modules

Developing sense of humor and self-confidence

Training modules

Facilitating and training skills

General traineeship

Knowledge about the abovementioned trainings

Training modules

Although this traineeship did not, the consequence of it changed my attitude towards life. It helped me grasp more realistic approach in life and look at my education from another angle.

2 comments:

Ian said...

I was working in Romania until December 2007. Did you travel around the country much? I was based in Bucharest, but my favourite places were Sibiu and Brasov.

I must say, your English is superb. Where did you it?

Me said...

Hi, thanks for the comments the other day on Page F30. There are two areas I'm mostly interested in when it comes to Mongolian, that you might have some more insight into:

- Relative similarity of languages like Kazakh and Kyrgyz to Mongolian compared to standard Turkish, and

- The effect of Mongolian on Jeju-do, which spent a bit more than a century under Mongolian occupation.

There's a bit of information in Korean on the second subject but not a great deal, and I imagine that Mongolian historians would be a bit more interested in documenting just how extensive this was.

Thanks!